Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Jet Lag

Okay, so if you want to know more about jet lag, check out the link to the right. If you want to know how it’s affecting our family, read below. Otherwise, skip to the next update about Christmas and our travels to Ohio. :)

For some reason, jet lag is affecting all of us (except Nicholas) pretty severely this time. I cannot explain why, but I can describe in great detail what our nights have been like since we returned to Belgium.

Sunday 1/2 -- arrive in Brussels around 9:30 am. Bodies think it’s 3:30 am. Nobody in our family slept well on the flight. 1:00 pm - Nicholas has been playing the Wii for 2 hours, Lindsey and Paul are asleep on the couch. 8:30 pm - Kids are ready for bed and are asleep within minutes. 10:00 pm - I go to sleep in Nick’s room in case he wakes up in the middle of the night (a routine we believe helps them adjust back to the house and the time zone). Midnight -- Nick and I both start tossing and turning. He asks to have Dad sleep with him. I try to explain that Paul needs to get good sleep because he has to go to work the next day. Nicholas is not satisfied with this answer. 1:30 am - We can hear Lindsey pound down the hallway to the master bedroom. She wakes up Paul. I send Paul to Nick’s room and get Lindsey settled in our bed. 2:00 am - Lindsey is hungry. I get us both a banana and some water. 2:30 am - Lindsey is still hungry. I get her a granola bar. All of this eating occurs in our bed with the lights out. I hear snoring from Nick’s room both times I go downstairs. 3:30 am - the last time I remember looking at the clock.

Monday 1/3 -- 7:30 am - time to get up and get Nicholas ready for school. I have to wake him up. 8:10 am - I have to wake Lindsey up and we take Nicholas to school and then do a massive grocery shopping trip all the while she is in her footed pj’s and rain boots. Breakfast is a baguette eaten in the cart. :) 2:00 pm Lindsey puts herself down for a nap on the couch. I have to wake her up to pick up Nicholas. She falls asleep in the car again. 8:30 pm - kids are in bed and asleep. I fall asleep in Nick’s room until 9:15. Go downstairs and see Paul working. Head back up to own bed. Fall asleep. Midnight - I am up. I wake Paul up from Lindsey’s bed and move him to our bed. 12:05 - Lindsey follows and gets under the covers with us. 12:30 - Nicholas comes in. Paul goes back to Nick’s room with him. Lindsey and I toss and turn. 4:00 am - last time I look at the clock.

Tuesday 1/4 -- 7:30 am - time to get up and get Nicholas ready for school. I have to wake him up. 8:10 am - I have to wake Lindsey up and we take Nicholas to school and then do some work on the lost and found closet at his school all the while Lindsey is in her footed pj’s and rain boots. Breakfast is dry Cheerios. :) 3:00 pm -Lindsey falls asleep in the car on the way to get Nicholas. 8:00 pm - Both kids are asleep. Paul makes the comment about how easily he is adjusting (i.e. he can make it through the entire day without taking a nap or crashing) back to the time zone. We proceed to work until 11:45 pm and then head up to bed. Midnight - Lindsey comes to our room. I try to sleep with her in her smaller than twin bed. 12:30 - Lindsey eats a banana. 12:45 - Lindsey eats a small box of raisins. 1:30 am - Lindsey begins a mantra that goes something like this, “I am bored. This is so boring. Sleeping is boring. All you do is lay there. I want to play. This is so boring. I am bored.” I try to ignore it. 2:00 am - Lindsey insists that she wants to sleep with Paul. We both go in the master bedroom. 2:30 am - I kick Paul out of bed as he is snoring quite loudly. Lindsey is still awake as well. I remind myself that this is better than our first two times adjusting and she would wake up crying like a wounded animal, completely out of it, and there was no way to settle her down. 3:30 am - the last time I look at the clock.

Wednesday 1/5 - 7:30 am - time to get up and get Nicholas ready for school. He wakes me up. 8:10 am - I have to wake Lindsey up and we take Nicholas to school and then go to a different grocery store all the while Lindsey is in her footed pj’s and rain boots. Breakfast is fruit. :) Miraculously Lindsey doesn’t take a nap the entire day. I am convinced it will be a better night. 8:00 pm - both kids are asleep. Paul retracts his comment about adjusting well to the time zone. We have not seen Lindsey and are feeling confident about things. 10:00 pm - Paul and I get in bed. 11:00 pm - we start to analyze Lindsey’s sleeping habits and wonder if her bed is too small. We are getting kicked in the ribs in the middle of the night when she is sleeping in our bed (and I thought I was done having a kid kick my ribs). Midnight - I am trying to figure out how I can move either of the kids to the guest room and what furniture will go where. I almost have the whole situation worked out. 1:30 am - I begin to tell Paul about moving the kids’ rooms in order to accommodate a bigger bed for Lindsey. I’m not sure who should move where, but all angles have been considered. Paul thinks everyone should stay put. 2:00 am - Paul gets out of bed and gets some work done. 2:15 am - I try to think of my happy place, but it’s been so long since I’ve been to Sedona, that my brain goes to the beach instead. I feel the warmth of the sun and wonder if I should buy tanning bed passes to feel that warmth again. 2:30 am - I listen to the rain and hope it is melting all the random snow that is left over. 2:45 am - I find Paul in the spare bedroom working and I begin to organize some scrap booking stuff. 3:15 am - Lindsey comes to our room. 3:30 am - the last time I look at the clock.

Thursday 1/6 - 6:59 am - Nicholas wakes me up and says it’s 7 and he’s going to go play. 8:15 am - Paul rolls over and says it’s 8:15!!!!! I ask him to take Nicholas to school on his way to work. 8:45 am - we get out of bed. 9:15 am - Paul leaves with Nicholas and hour after he’s supposed to be at school. 9:45 am - Lindsey wakes up. That evening at 8:00 pm - I give every member of the family a melatonin pill to dissolve under their tongues in the hopes of regulating our internal clocks. 8:30 pm - both kids are asleep. 10:00 pm - I am writing this down as I’ve written it in my head the past two nights and then trying to fall asleep. Wish me luck! :)

Friday, 1/7 - the cure to jetlag is alcohol. I have two glasses of champagne and two glasses of red wine and am asleep by 10:30 pm. I sleep until 9:00 am. :)

Saturday, 1/8 - try my new cure a second night. I have 2 strong margaritas and am asleep by 10:00 pm. I sleep until 8:30 am. :) Success!